Dura Den

The sandstone cliffs of Dura Den

Dura Den is a small, 3 km-long wooded gorge that is located near Cupar in northeastern Fife, Scotland. This narrow cleft follows a course between the villages of Kemback to the north and Pitscottie to the south. A small stream, named the Ceres (or Kame) Burn, follows the course of this gorge and this flow includes small waterfalls near the midpoint. Historically the Ceres Burn was used to power jute spinning mills

Around 1859, the geologist and Newburgh minister John Anderson discovered what turned out to be extensive sandstone deposits of ganoid fossilized fish in this area.

The Dura Den Wood occupies an area of 4.25 acres (17,200 m2). The woods include ash, oak, and hazel.

External links

Coordinates: 56°18′42″N 2°56′38″W / 56.31159°N 2.94382°W / 56.31159; -2.94382



This page was last updated at 2019-11-10 23:12 UTC. Update now. View original page.

All our content comes from Wikipedia and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.


Top

If mathematical, chemical, physical and other formulas are not displayed correctly on this page, please useFirefox or Safari