Nemasket Hill Cemetery

Coordinates: 41°54′16″N 70°54′08″W / 41.90440°N 70.90220°W / 41.90440; -70.90220

Nemasket Hill Cemetery
Primary entrance for nemasket hill cemetery.jpg
This is the primary entrance for Nemasket Hill Cemetery
CountryUnited States

Nemasket Hill Cemetery is a cemetery located in Middleborough, Massachusetts. It was set aside as a burial ground in 1662, and is the oldest in Middleborough. The oldest engraved headstone here (and within the town of Middleborough) is that of Elizabeth Vaughan, who died on June 24, 1693.

The cemetery conducts a "Stroll thru History" annually, in May.

The Nemasket Hill Cemetery Association holds Annual Meetings on the third Saturday in April at the Middleborough Public Library. The meeting are open to the public.

The cemetery has been in continuous operation since it was established. The cemetery was incorporated on March 24, 1885. The Nemasket Cemetery Circle was a group that was active in the early part of the 1900s and they raised funds that financed various cemetery improvement projects. In 1919, a bridge was erected from North Street over the Nemasket River and connected to wooden stairs that ascended the hill to access the cemetery. The bridge is no longer present, but the stairs remain. During the 1920s, a Chapel was built. In 2009, the cemetery added a columbarium.

Notable burials

This page was last updated at 2023-02-04 12:34 UTC. Update now. View original page.

All our content comes from Wikipedia and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.


If mathematical, chemical, physical and other formulas are not displayed correctly on this page, please useFirefox or Safari